Click to Home
Go To Search
GovernmentTown ServicesYour CommunityBusinessHelp Me Find
History of Firestone
MinersFort Junction
St. Vrain State Park, near present-day Firestone, was originally the location where Fort Junction, a sod fortress, was built. Between 1863 and 1865 Fort Junction was constructed for use during the Colorado War (also known as the Indian War) by the Lower Boulder St. Vrain Valley Home Guard – a volunteer militia organized to protect local settlers from Native American attacks.

Mine CartsFirst Production Coal Mine
Weld County brothers John, William, and Thomas McKissick were in the St. Vrain Valley Home Guard. John was elected Weld County Sheriff in 1865 and Thomas succeeded him in 1867. William discovered coal in southwestern Weld County, leading to the McKissick brothers purchasing railroad land to establish a coal mine.

In 1872, they opened the McKissick, Colorado’s first production coal mine (a mine requiring tunnels, mining equipment and employees), located where today’s Saddleback Golf Course is in Firestone.

Town of Firestone LogoBirth of Firestone
In 1907, the Denslow Coal and Land Company purchased 160 acres of Thomas McKissick’s land from his widow. Later that same year, Ohio investors bought Denslow out and started the Firestone Coal Company, establishing Firestone coal mine.

They platted a town next to the mine named Firestone in 1908. Everything was named for Jacob H. Firestone, one of the Ohio investors. The original plat of the Town encompassed the area between Grant Avenue east to Fourth Street south to McClure Avenue and west to First Street. View the original plat, as well as the 1974 replat. Firestone was the third coal mining town of a trio of towns northeast of Erie, along with Frederick and Dacono, commonly referred to as the Tri-Towns or the Carbon Valley.
Working in the Mines
Coal Mining
Five coal mines operated in Firestone until 1947 when the coal mines closed. During its production, Firestone’s Grant Mine produced 2,070,686 tons of coal, enough to fill a coal train 200 miles long.

Where the old train track bed was is now the Firestone Trail. More than 12 miles long, the Firestone Trail connects a variety of neighborhood and regional parks, the St. Vrain Legacy Trail, and the Colorado Front Range Trail.

A Small Town Grows
clock tower
Firestone remained a small town until its boom began in 2000. During that time, the population soared from 1,908 to 10,147 in 2010. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the Town of Firestone had a growth rate of 431 percent during that time, making it the fastest growing community in Colorado.

Centennial Clock & Time Capsule
On Aug. 29, 2009, the Firestone Board of Trustees hosted a dedication ceremony for the Firestone Centennial Clock, time capsule and associated brick plaza area located at the Jacob H. Firestone Memorial Park. The development of the project was inspired by Trustee Paul Sorensen, who put forth a tremendous effort to commemorate Firestone. The brick plaza area is made up of individual brick pavers, which identify the names of many of the project’s supporters. The time capsule is scheduled to be opened in 50 years.