Chief of Police Recruitment
The Town of Firestone is seeking a dedicated law-enforcement professional who will provide organizational leadership and strategic direction to a growing department of 28 sworn officers and 4 civilian staff members.
Under the general direction of the Town Manager, the Chief of Police is responsible for the efficient management, direction and operation of the police department. The selected Chief of Police will be responsible for ensuring that laws and ordinances are enforced, ethical and professional standards are followed, and measures are implemented to prevent crime, and protect lives and property.
Applicant documents will be accepted through Friday, October 1, 2021. Our process will include a review of candidate applications and the determination of a select group of candidates invited to participate in a phone interview. Only the most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a personal, multi-panel interview.
Please Note: Applications will only be accepted online. Complete an application and view the job description here.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a strategic, results oriented leader who is dedicated to serving the Firestone community. The ideal candidate for this position is:
- An experienced law enforcement professional who can provide leadership and direct a seasoned department;
- One who possesses excellent people skills; is approachable and encourages open communication and believes in a work environment built on trust and integrity;
- An active listener who works well with personnel throughout all levels of the organization;
- A leader who sets clear expectations, is honest and fair and holds their staff accountable for their actions;
- An individual who supports a culture of inclusivity; fosters an environment of teamwork, encouraging creative and critical thinking;
- One who exhibits a strong sense of character, respects those that they work with and hopefully possesses a good sense of humor
- Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, management, public administration or a related field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred, as is executive-level training, such as the FBI National Academy, Senior Management Institute for Police (SMIP) or other recognized executive command programs
- Ten (10) years of increasingly responsible management experience managing a law enforcement agency including at least five (5) years of senior administrative responsibility
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
The selected candidate will currently possess or have the ability to attain State of Colorado Post Certification and be able to secure and maintain a Colorado Driver’s license. Out-of-State candidates are encouraged to review the Colorado Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) requirements at post.colorado.gov.