Do I Need a Building Permit?
A building permit is required for most construction projects whether it is to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure. A building permit is also required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair,
remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system or cause any such work to be done. Once you've determined that you need a permit, please review any guides available, frequently asked questions or proceed to submit an application.
Before You Dig
Remember that before you do any digging to please call 811. Water line locates within the Town of Firestone should be requested by calling Public Works at 303-833-3544.
Permit Required for the Following Projects:
- Building additions or alterations
- Decks, patio/deck covers, garages and carports.
- Hot tubs, spas and pools over 5,000 gallons and/or 24 inches in depth.
- Adding, removing or moving exterior or interior walls
- Replacing windows
- Adding electrical wiring – gas lines for appliances, grills, outdoor fireplaces
- Adding or replacing a furnace, water heaters, including tankless water heaters
- Installing or replacing fireplaces, wood burning stoves or gas logs
- Making any change to water lines
- Adding or replacing an air conditioner
- Adding or replacing siding, stucco, brick, etc.
- Installing a lawn sprinkler system
- Fences – installing, altering, moving
- Basement finishes
- PV Solar Systems
Permit Not Required for the Following Projects:
- Replacement of flooring or carpets
- Interior or exterior painting
- Direct replacement of cabinets, countertops, toilets, sinks and faucets
- Gutters and downspouts
- Storage sheds 200 square feet or smaller, 12 feet or less in height. Located in rear yard and placed 5 feet away from any property line. Only one accessory building per lot.
- Flat work - patios, sidewalks and driveways. However, check with the Building Department about specific code requirements.
- Adding zones to an existing sprinkler system
While it is true that most projects require a permit, there are many times when a permit isn’t required. If you are considering an upcoming project, it is best to contact the Town’s Building Department to inquire about any questions you may have by calling 303-531-6259. The Building Department will check your plans, perform inspections and keep records on your project.