2022 Candidate Information
How to become a candidate in the April 5, 2022 Town of Firestone Regular Municipal Election
Candidate Training is scheduled for 6:30 pm on Monday, January 3, 2022 in the Richard Hart Training Room in the Police Department & Municipal Court Building at 9900 Park Avenue, Firestone, Colorado.
Valid signatures on nomination petitions can be collected starting on Tuesday, January 4, 2022. Any signatures collected prior to this date are not valid. A minimum of ten signatures from registered voters residing within the Town limits is required to establish candidacy. Completed nomination petitions, along with signed and notarized Affidavit of Circulator and Acceptance of Nomination forms are due back to the Town Clerk’s Office no later than Monday, January 24, 2022 at 5:00 pm.
Each candidate will receive a letter indicating the status of his/her petition’s sufficiency. If a petition is not sufficient, additional signatures may be collected on an additional nomination petition packet and filed with the Town Clerk’s Office before close of business on Monday, January 31, 2022.
A drawing by lot will be held in the Town Hall Board Room at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, February 1, 2022. The drawing will determine the order candidates will be listed on the official ballot. It is not mandatory that either the candidate or a representative appointed by the candidate be present for the drawing.
If a candidate chooses to utilize any contributions for campaigning purposes, the candidate needs to comply with the Fair Campaign Practices Act reporting requirements which stipulate that the necessary forms be filed. Candidate, issue, and political committees are required to file regularly scheduled reports of all contributions/loans received and expenditures made regarding any campaign and/or ballot issue or ballot question.
CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Candidates must meet the following criteria pursuant to C.R.S. 31-10-301:
- Must be a registered voter by the time of the candidate’s nomination;
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the election;
- Must be a primary resident of the Town of Firestone for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the election;
- Must maintain residency throughout the term in office;
- May not be a candidate for more than one office at the same election or hold two municipal offices.
- Candidates for municipal offices shall be nominated “at large”, without regard to political party, affiliation, or geographic location. Mayor and trustee candidates are all nominated by petition. Nomination petitions must be filed in the Town Clerk’s Office in accordance with CRS. 31-10-909 (a).
- Each nomination petition shall be completed with the name of the candidate as he/she wishes it to appear on the ballot, the candidate’s place of residence, and the office being sought.
- Candidates may use a nickname, but may not use any title or degree designation with the business or profession of the candidate.
- Candidates may withdraw from the election by submitting a written affidavit to the Town Clerk’s Office stating their withdrawal pursuant to CRS. 31-10-909 (b).
CIRCULATION OF NOMINATION PETITIONS
Candidates may circulate his/her own petition or have others circulate petitions for them. However, each nomination petition can only be circulated by one person. Nomination petitions cannot be left unattended by the circulator. The circulator must witness and certify by affidavit that each signature is the signature of the person whose name it purports to be, and that each signer has stated to the circulator that he is a registered elector of the municipality for which the nomination is being made.
The nominating petition must contain 10 signatures of registered electors residing within the town limits of the Town of Firestone. An elector has the right to sign only as many petitions as there are offices to fill. Each registered elector signing the petition must also print their name and physical address as it appears on their voter registration. It is advisable to obtain more than the required 10 signatures in the event a name is challenged, found to be ineligible, or is otherwise eliminated.
Signatures will be verified by the Town Clerk’s Office. If signatures are eliminated by the Town Clerk’s Office resulting in fewer than 10 registered electors on a petition, the petition circulator will have time in which to amend the petition. The last day to amend a nomination petition is 66 days prior to the election (Election Day excluded).
Important Dates for Candidates
- First day petition may be circulated: January 4, 2022
- Last day to file nomination petition: January 24, 2022
- Last day to amend nomination petition: January 31, 2022
- Last day to withdraw petition: February 1, 2022