The School Resource Officer (SRO) Program has been an ongoing relationship between the Firestone Police Department and the St. Vrain Valley School District since 2006. The program provides a school-based law enforcement officer to work as a partner to protect students, school faculty and the local schools. The program also thrives by providing valuable resources to school staff, fostering positive relationships and developing strategies to resolve problems affecting today’s youth.
About the Program
Roles of the School Resource Officer
The School Resource Officer works with the administration, faculty and students of Coal Ridge Middle School, Prairie Ridge Elementary School and Centennial Elementary School. The responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the prevention and control of crime on the school grounds.
- Provide presentations and available educational resources regarding alcohol and substance abuse, law-related education, criminal justice system orientation, delinquency prevention, gang involvement and awareness, and community responsibility.
- Provide instructional resources for classroom presentations.
- Provide visible presence on the school campuses.
- Contribute to the positive police-school-community relation efforts.